Linamar’s Board of Directors has accepted that management should move toward the adoption of the SASB standards for annual public disclosures pertaining to environmental management. The HRGC Committee views the SASB Auto Part sector standard for Sustainability metrics as appropriate for the company to report against. They do, however, have a view on certain social responsibility topics, such as the usage of conflict minerals, that management should make disclosures that, in certain instances, go further than what is required by SASB. The 2019 fiscal year was the first time that Linamar began to disclose some elements related to the SASB guidelines. Currently, not all recommended metrics are tracked, however, the company will disclose more over
time as the required data gathering and verification systems are implemented and improved upon on a global basis.
Linamar has made significant strides in improving sustainability reporting, including the establishment of an internal Sustainability Council, undertaking enhanced data collection and aggregation for reporting, and increased resources focused on sustainability efforts. Disclosures outlined by the SASB framework have been included in the relevant subsections under Environmental Management in this report. Currently, data collected represents about 40% of all global facilities.
Energy conservation has long been a critical objective at Linamar not only due to the fact that energy is a critical cost input but also because all our operations teams’ have a desire to maximize energy efficiency and minimize their ecological footprint overall. There are several key elements all our facilities have focused on:
- Installation of LED energy efficient lighting in all of our global facilities
- Occupancy sensing light switches in infrequent traffic areas or rooms
- Light harvesting skylights that enable lights to dim as natural sunlight reduces electric light needs
- Air compressor systems leak detection protocols, including use of ultrasonic leak tests, variable speed drive air compressor technology, etc.
- Variable speed drives for ventilation fans and exhaust fans ensures more efficient energy usage for air circulation
- Machine auto-shutoff timers on assembly line and machining chips conveyors
- SCADA energy monitoring system to monitor main plant energy consumption, data collection, power consumption, power factor, ensures measuring ability to be able to improve real-time data availability for measurement and adjustment
- Rooftop rainwater capture systems
- In-house waste water (gray) oil separation and recovery
- 100% of our coolant gets recycled